The Gayle W. McElrath scholarship honors the memory of MNASQ member Gayle McElrath who was a living testimony to the principles and practices of the quality profession. His life and accomplishments testify to his commitment. These include Professor and founder of the Industrial Engineering Department, University of Minnesota (1953); founding member of Minnesota Section, ASQ (circa 1947), subsequently Section Chair (1951-1952), awarded Fellow (1953) and E.L. Grant Medalist (1963). He also was a Certified Quality Engineer and Professional Engineer. His professional life actively included applied learning to reinforce continued practices. Also, supplemented with numerous seminars and technical papers and texts testify to the confidence others had in Gayle’s capability and dedication. His profession of over forty years was a testimony to excellence and commitment.
ASQ Minnesota Section 1203 (MNASQ) offers scholarships yearly to students attending post-secondary education to members or family members of members in good standing in the section. There are four awards that will be award annually. There are two $1000.00 and two $500.00 scholarships being awarded. One of the $1000.00 and one of the $500.00 scholarships may be renewed for up to three years if the applicant continues to meet the entry requirements.
Scholarship selection criteria includes:
- Applicant must be a Section 1203 member in good standing for at least 3 continuous years or family member of a member (spouse, child or parent.) If the member is a Section Board member or a member of the Scholarship Committee, the Section Board must approve the applicant. . (“Enterprise” ASQ members without a paid MN Section membership are not eligible).
- Must be enrolled in a program leading to an Associate, or Bachelors degree in Engineering, Technology, Physical or Natural Sciences, Mathematics, Statistics, Business-Administration, Health Sciences, or Education at a recognized (ABET or equiv. accredited) college or university.
- Must have a GPA of 3.0 or greater on a scale of 1-4.
- At the time of the award, the applicant must have completed one academic year and will be a full time student during award use.
- Essay must be submitted and selected by the Scholarship Committee. The decision of the committee is final. In case of a tie, a drawing will be held for final selection.
Application packages may be submitted electronically except for sealed official copy of the current transcript. The application package consists of the following documents:
- Completed scholarship application form;
- Essay articulating why the applicant should be considered for the scholarship and how quality relates to their chosen profession or major. (maximum of 2 typed or printed pages.)
- Letter of recommendation from 1 faculty member;
- Current photo;
- Sealed official copy of the applicant’s current transcript.
Please submit questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Complete applications must be received at the address below no later than June 1st. Selected recipients will be contacted by August 15th.
Submit electronic applications to: email@example.com
Submit via postal mail to:
PO Box 9370
North Saint Paul, MN 55109-9370
Attention: Scholarship Committee
Scholarship recipients are listed at Scholarship Recipients.